Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The First Day of School and all it's aftermath.

Well, today was the day... the children were forced to bed early last night and then awoken early this morning (both much to their dismay) and dressed in fresh clothes and undies to greet the school bus.

Doodle was visibly thrown... he hates changes in his routine. He kept walking in circles looking at the ground and doing these arm stretches he does and cracking his knuckles.

The Bird, however, was most confident. This child is convinced that everyone and everything is meant to make life better for him. He really does believe he is the most handsome and cute boy on the planet and that everyone will love him. He kept telling me how his new teacher was (though he had not met her) the best teacher he ever had and that she would be the nicest woman in the world besides Mommy.


When they got home, I took pictures... easier on Doodle that way, with the pressure of the first day over. Doodle wouldn't look at the camera, showing again it was not one of his best days.

So what do they do? The teacher sends homework on the first day for him. UGH. And I'm not even sure I was supposed to have him do it (we had to skip half of it because it was beyond him). But I did... because I'd rather have him do it and not have to than the opposite.

Typically, all his homework comes from his special ed teacher, so I suspect that it is either changing, or that the homeroom teacher just doesn't know yet.

The Bird was showing off his artwork, feasting on the awe of parents who are just so happy to have a child who enjoys his school work and will tell us ANYTHING about his day.

Naturally, he went on about who was in his class, who he saw, who was on the bus, what all he ate, everything. Whereas Doodle told only what we could pry out and refused to tell us hardly anything.

Ah... children... they are all individuals.


I'm looking forward to open house more this year because for some reason our letters about the meet and greet and who their teachers would be had not arrived... so I had to call and get the info and thereby missed the meet and greet.

So I really want to see the teachers, especially Doodle's... I like to kind of give them a really good idea about how to deal with him and where he is mentally and psychologically... so they don't have to spend a good half the year figuring it all out.

But of course, I have found out that I also have to watch out for Bird. Last year he got a real hardnosed one until they put him in EDK, so I have to be sure that she is sensitive and caring and will be good with his more sensitive and emotional nature. After all, this child wears his heart right on his sleeve. However, he can tease and pick as well as the next child, so it's a hard line that he walks on.

But all in all, I'm optimistic about the school year. It's going well so far... Jeffrey loves his teacher and thinks she's great. As long as he doesn't start coming home in tears like he was last year, saying his teacher was mean and didn't like him, I'll be good.

No comments: